A Platform for Global Censorship Measurement
Organizing : IIJ Innovation Institute Inc.
Language / 言語
This seminar will be held in English only. / 今回のセミナーは英語での進行となります。
Shinyoung Cho (Stony Brook University)
Recent years have seen the Internet become a key vehicle for citizens around the globe to express political opinions and organize protests. This fact has not gone unnoticed, with countries around the world repurposing network management tools (e.g., URL filtering products) and protocols (e.g., BGP, DNS) for censorship. Previous work has focused on understanding how censorship is performed in specific countries. However, there are no major studies to understand global censorship trends over time, and to identify, on a global scale, the networks responsible for performing censorship. Also, repurposing network products for censorship can have an unintended international impact, which we refer to as censorship leakage. While there have been anecdotal reports of censorship leakage, there has yet to be a systematic study of censorship leakage at a global scale. We build a global censorship measurement platform (ICLab) and combine it with a general-purpose technique - boolean network tomography - to identify how a censor performs censorship and which AS on a network path is performing censorship.
Date and Time
- 2018-7-24 (Tue) 18:00 (The registration desk opens at 17:45)
- Internet Initiative Japan Inc. 13F Cantata room
- Iidabashi Grand-Bloom 2-10-2 Fujimi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102－0071
Read before comming
- Registration is required to enter the office floor of the building. A registration desk for the seminar participants will be located on the second floor of the building. Please state your name to the staff and receive a visitor card key.
- The registration desk will be opening around 15 minutes before the seminar starts.
- If you've arrived at the building after the registration desk has closed, please call the phone number printed on the signboard at the registration desk.
- We will collect your visitor card key before you leave the meeting room. Please hand your key to the staff standing by the room exit.
Media View all Media
If you add event media, up to 3 items will be shown here.