PASTE: Co-designing Network and Storage Stack
for Non-Volatile Main Memory
Organizing : IIJ Innovation Institute Inc.
Language / 言語
This seminar will be held in English only. / 今回のセミナーは英語での進行となります。
Michio Honda (NEC Europe)
- vagrant setup is available: if you did
vagrant upwith the repository below, you will be happy. / 講演時に役立つ VM イメージを用意してもらいまいた。
Costs of persisting data over networks have been dominated by slow access latency to disks or SSDs, and access methods to them, causing end-to-end latency on the order of hundreds or thousands of microseconds. As a result, networking whose RTTs over TCP and HTTP take tens of microseconds, was a relatively lightweight component of the end-to-end system. However, emerging non-volatile main memory (NVMM) will change this phenomenon, because durably writing data become two-three orders of magnitude faster because of physical speed and new access methods. This bottlenecks the network stack, necessitating re-designing it.
We propose PASTE, a new networking API to build networked storage systems on top of it. It achieves high performance by run-to-completion and DMA performed to named packet buffers on NVMM, while preserving protection, efficiency and ability to leverage a rich set of network protocols provided by the socket API today. We benchmark PASTE using Write-Ahead Logging and B+tree, as well as porting it to key value stores and software switch, and show PASTE significantly outperforms well-tuned Linux and the state-of-the art network stack. The work is to appear in NSDI'18 (http://web.sfc.wide.ad.jp/~micchie/papers/paste-nsdi18.pdf).
Date and Time
- 2018-5-2 (Wed) 18:30 (The registration desk opens at 18:15)
- Internet Initiative Japan Inc. 13F Opera2 room
- Iidabashi Grand-Bloom 2-10-2 Fujimi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102－0071
Read before comming
- Registration is required to enter the office floor of the building. A registration desk for the seminar participants will be located on the second floor of the building. Please state your name to the staff and receive a visitor card key.
- The registration desk will be opening around 15 minutes before the seminar starts.
- If you've arrived at the building after the registration desk has closed, please call the phone number printed on the signboard at the registration desk.
- We will collect your visitor card key before you leave the meeting room. Please hand your key to the staff standing by the room exit.
Media View all Media
If you add event media, up to 3 items will be shown here.
5/2 の iijlab セミナーは、@michioh の PASTE です。がち NSDI 論文 (https://www.usenix.org/conference/nsdi18/presentation/honda) ですので、ご期待を!
PASTE trial VM: https://github.com/micchie/paste-demo