A Fast & Practical Software Packet Scheduling Arch
主催 : IIJイノベーションインスティテュート
Language / 言語
This seminar will be held in English only. / 今回のセミナーは英語での進行となります。
Luigi Rizzo (Università di Pisa) - (Joint work with Paolo Valente, Giuseppe Lettieri, Vincenzo Maffione)
Dynamic resource scheduling is key to achieve dependable service guarantees, allocate spare capacity and protect systems against misuse. For network traffic in a cloud environment, packet scheduling is often done in software, a task made hard by the extremely high frequency of decisions (10+ million packets per second) and the large number of concurrent sources.
No currently available solution simultaneously supports high decision rates, scales to many concurrent clients, and has provable, small deviation from ideal allocation at high link utilization. The pieces to make the above possible do exist, though, from efficient schedulers with tight analytical service guarantees to fast packet I/O frameworks.
In this talk we fill the gap and propose an architecture to run software packet schedulers efficiently even in a high speed, highly concurrent environment. We achieve this result by separating the scheduling decision from the actual packet transmission, so that the latter can be performed in parallel by clients. We provide analytical bounds on the service guarantees of our scheduling architecture even at high link utilization, and present an accurate discussion of implementation issues. Our prototype can make over 20 million scheduling decisions per second even with tens of concurrent clients running on a multi-core, multi-socket system, while adding less than 2 us to the communication delay.
Luigi Rizzo is a professor at the Università di Pisa. He has worked on network emulation, high performance networking, packet scheduling, multicast and reliable multicast. He is a long time contributor to FreeBSD, for which he has developed several subsystems including the dummynet network emulator, the ipfw firewall, and the netmap framework. He has been program committe member for for sigcomm, conext, infocom, nsdi, Usenix ATC, ANCS and other conferences, as well as PC chair for Sigcomm 2009 and Conext 2014, ANCS 2016, and general chair for Sigcomm 2006. Luigi has been a frequent visiting researcher at various institutions including ICSI/UC Berkeley, Google Mountain View, Intel Research Cambridge, Intel Research Berkeley.
Date and Time
- 2016-7-19 (Tue) 18:00 (The registration desk opens at 17:45)
- Internet Initiative Japan Inc. 13F Opera2 meeting room
- Iidabashi Grand-Bloom 2-10-2 Fujimi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102－0071
Read before comming
- Registration is required to enter the office floor of the building. A registration desk for the seminar participants will be located on the second floor of the building. Please state your name to the staff and receive a visitor card key.
- The registration desk will be opening around 17:45.
- If you've arrived at the building after the registration desk has closed, please call the phone number printed on the signboard at the registration desk.
- We will collect your visitor card key before you leave the meeting room. Please hand your key to the staff standing by the room exit.