Extending BGP analysis with NetFlow
Organizing : IIJ技術研究所
Language / 言語
This seminar will be held in English only. / 今回のセミナーは英語での進行となります。
If a route falls in a forest and no packet is around to hear it: Extending BGP analysis with NetFlow
Doug Madory (Kentik)
BGP data can provide insight into the potential paths of internet traffic but it has no notion of what traffic follows any given path. As a result, we cannot definitively know anything of what internet traffic, if any, was impacted during a BGP incident (e.g. a leak or hijack). In some cases, one could reasonably ask, did a single packet get impacted by this leaked route? This talk discusses how the use of a very large corpus of NetFlow data helps to better understand the operational impact of BGP incidents by examining the NetFlow of the traffic misdirected during these events.
Doug Madory is the director of internet analysis for Kentik where he works on internet infrastructure analysis. The Washington Post dubbed him “The Man who can see the Internet” for his reputation in identifying significant developments in the global layout of the internet. Doug is regularly quoted by major news outlets about developments ranging from national blackouts to BGP hijacks to the activation of submarine cables. Prior to Kentik, he was the lead analyst for Oracle’s internet intelligence team (formerly Dyn Research and Renesys).
Date and Time
- 2023-07-11 (Tue) 18:00 (The registration desk opens at 17:45)
- Internet Initiative Japan Inc. 13F Opera 2 room
- Iidabashi Grand-Bloom 2-10-2 Fujimi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102－0071
Read before coming
- Registration is required to enter the office floor of the building. A registration desk for the seminar participants will be located on the second floor of the building. Please state your name to the staff and receive a visitor ticket.
- The registration desk will be opening around 15 minutes before the seminar starts.
- If you've arrived at the building after the registration desk has closed, please call the phone number printed on the signboard at the registration desk.
Media View all Media
If you add event media, up to 3 items will be shown here.